There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce in the City of Boroondara than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Boroondara's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Boroondara or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Boroondara, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Boroondara - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||3,319||4.0||2.4||3,046||3.8||2.2||+273|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||6,038||7.3||10.1||5,924||7.4||10.4||+114|
|Architecture and Building||2,622||3.2||4.6||2,437||3.0||4.2||+185|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||673||0.8||1.6||614||0.8||1.5||+59|
|Management and Commerce||18,702||22.7||15.0||16,930||21.1||13.3||+1,772|
|Society and Culture||9,319||11.3||8.9||8,856||11.0||7.7||+463|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,712||2.1||3.6||1,679||2.1||3.5||+33|
|Mixed Field Programmes||51||0.1||0.1||37||0.0||0.0||+14|
|Not stated or inadequately described||1,907||2.3||2.9||2,488||3.1||3.8||-581|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Boroondara shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (18,702 people or 22.7%)
- Society and Culture (9,319 people or 11.3%)
- Health (9,080 people or 11.0%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 37,101 people in total or 45.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 15.0% in Management and Commerce; 8.9% in Society and Culture and 7.5% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the City of Boroondara and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (22.7% compared to 15.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (11.0% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (7.3% compared to 10.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (11.3% compared to 8.9%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Boroondara increased by 1,944 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Boroondara was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+1,772 resident workers)
- Health (+627 resident workers)
- Not stated or inadequately described (-581 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+463 resident workers)