City of Boroondara
Resident workers - Hours worked
47.3% of the resident workers in the City of Boroondara work 40 or more hours, compared to 59.1% in Wholesale Trade.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Boroondara's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Boroondara depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Boroondara||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||11,662||14.2||7.8||10,856||13.5||6.8||+806||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,915||10.8||7.8||8,312||10.4||7.6||+603||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,403||10.2||8.0||7,650||9.5||7.7||+753||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||10,835||13.2||14.4||9,877||12.3||12.7||+958||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,977||9.7||11.0||8,640||10.8||12.9||-663||22007|
|49 hours or more||15,372||18.7||23.8||16,221||20.2||25.7||-849||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Boroondara's resident workers in 2016 compared to Wholesale Trade shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 38.1% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 25.8% and 73.5% respectively for Wholesale Trade.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Boroondara and Wholesale Trade were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (14.2% compared to 7.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (10.8% compared to 7.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (18.9% compared to 24.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (18.7% compared to 23.8%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Boroondara increased by 360 people (0.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Boroondara between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+958 people)
- 40 hours (+914 people)
- 49 hours or more (-849 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+806 people)