Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Boroondara residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Boroondara, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Boroondara are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Boroondara - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||314||0.4||2.2||261||0.3||2.1||+53|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||705||0.9||1.1||686||0.8||1.0||+19|
|Accommodation and Food Services||5,195||6.3||6.6||4,753||5.7||5.8||+442|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,938||2.4||4.8||1,858||2.2||4.4||+80|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||2,394||2.9||1.9||2,344||2.8||1.9||+50|
|Financial and Insurance Services||5,743||7.0||3.9||5,951||7.1||3.9||-208|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2,123||2.6||1.6||1,707||2.0||1.3||+416|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||12,334||15.0||7.9||12,448||14.8||7.3||-114|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,375||2.9||3.4||2,525||3.0||3.1||-150|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,466||4.2||5.3||3,495||4.2||5.0||-29|
|Education and Training||8,643||10.5||8.6||8,132||9.7||7.6||+511|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||11,669||14.2||12.5||11,015||13.1||10.9||+654|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,979||2.4||1.9||1,705||2.0||1.6||+274|
|Industry not classified||3,233||3.9||4.7||1,576||1.9||2.3||+1,657|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Boroondara in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (12,334 people or 15.0%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (11,669 people or 14.2%)
- Education and Training (8,643 people or 10.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 32,646 people in total or 39.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Victoria employed 7.9% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 8.6% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Boroondara and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (15.0% compared to 7.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (4.5% compared to 8.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (4.5% compared to 7.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (7.0% compared to 3.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Boroondara were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+1,657 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-936 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-821 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+654 resident workforce)