Local sales by industry measures the output of local industries that is sold locally. This includes sales to local consumers, businesses and other organisations.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, local sales data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Local sales by industry sector|
|City of Boroondara - Constant prices||2018/19||2013/14||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||Victoria||$m||%||Victoria||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||52.3||0.3||1.8||65.4||0.4||2.3||-13.1|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||233.8||1.4||3.1||146.2||0.9||3.3||+87.6|
|Accommodation and Food Services||459.1||2.8||2.5||376.8||2.4||2.5||+82.2|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||363.7||2.2||4.0||522.3||3.3||4.9||-158.6|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||254.2||1.5||3.1||346.2||2.2||2.8||-91.9|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,356.2||8.2||6.6||1,432.6||9.0||6.6||-76.4|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||3,934.7||23.9||14.3||3,220.6||20.3||13.1||+714.1|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,651.3||10.0||8.2||1,368.5||8.6||7.7||+282.8|
|Administrative and Support Services||607.2||3.7||3.9||683.8||4.3||4.4||-76.6|
|Public Administration and Safety||341.0||2.1||3.4||345.5||2.2||4.0||-4.6|
|Education and Training||744.8||4.5||3.4||868.4||5.5||3.6||-123.5|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,128.6||6.9||6.2||897.8||5.7||5.2||+230.8|
|Arts and Recreation Services||201.2||1.2||1.2||187.0||1.2||1.1||+14.2|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id informed decisions NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. .id informed decisions. Data are based on a 2016-17 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn more
An analysis of the local sales by industry sectors in the City of Boroondara in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services ($3,935million or 23.9%)
- Construction ($3,062million or 18.6%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services ($1,651million or 10.0%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $8,648 million in total or 52.5% of the total local sales by total industry in the the City of Boroondara.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in Victoria accounted for 14.3% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services; 21.9% in Construction and 8.2% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between local sales by industries of the City of Boroondara and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local sales by Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (23.9% compared to 14.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Construction (18.6% compared to 21.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Manufacturing (3.5% compared to 6.2%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (10.0% compared to 8.2%)
The total local sales by industry in the City of Boroondara $increased by 611 million between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the local sales by industries between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in the City of Boroondara were for:
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+$714 million)
- Manufacturing (-$302 million)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$283 million)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+$231 million)