Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Boroondara's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
- Excel full
- Word full
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Boroondara||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,813||5.9||13.1||5,027||6.3||13.9||-214|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,689||8.1||10.6||6,117||7.6||9.3||+572|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||10,398||12.6||13.3||11,039||13.7||14.4||-641|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||998||1.2||5.8||1,003||1.2||6.1||-5|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,321||1.6||1.7||1,738||2.2||2.2||-417|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Boroondara in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (32,376 people or 39.4%)
- Managers (15,442 people or 18.8%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (10,398 people or 12.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 58,216 people in total or 70.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.3% in Professionals; 13.5% in Managers and 13.3% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Boroondara and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (39.4% compared to 23.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (5.9% compared to 13.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (3.3% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (18.8% compared to 13.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Boroondara increased by 1,976 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Boroondara were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,259 persons)
- Managers (+1,214 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-641 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+572 persons)