City of Boroondara
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in the City of Boroondara than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of City of Boroondara's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Boroondara||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Mining%||Number||%||Mining%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,813||5.9||2.4||5,027||6.3||2.2||-214||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,689||8.1||--||6,117||7.6||--||+572||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||10,398||12.6||8.8||11,039||13.7||13.8||-641||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||998||1.2||2.8||1,003||1.2||3.0||-5||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,321||1.6||0.0||1,738||2.2||1.5||-417||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in City of Boroondara in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (32,376 people or 39.4%)
- Managers (15,442 people or 18.8%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (10,398 people or 12.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 58,216 people in total or 70.8% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Mining employed 51.4% in Professionals; 33.1% in Managers; and 8.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of the City of Boroondara and Mining were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Sales Workers (9.1% compared to 0.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (8.1% compared to 0.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (18.8% compared to 33.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (39.4% compared to 51.4%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in City of Boroondara increased by 1,976 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Boroondara were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,259 people)
- Managers (+1,214 people)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-641 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+572 people)