Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Boroondara will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Boroondara;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Boroondara - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||6,194||8.7||13.1||6,003||8.9||13.8||+191|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||8,233||11.5||10.6||6,926||10.3||9.3||+1,307|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||10,304||14.4||13.3||10,948||16.3||14.4||-644|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||990||1.4||5.8||984||1.5||6.1||+6|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,143||1.6||1.7||1,337||2.0||2.2||-194|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Boroondara in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (23,815 local workers or 33.4%)
- Managers (10,630 local workers or 14.9%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (10,304 local workers or 14.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 44,749 people in total or 62.7% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.2% as Professionals; 13.5% as Managers and 13.3% as Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Boroondara and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (33.4% compared to 23.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (1.4% compared to 5.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (8.7% compared to 13.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (4.7% compared to 9.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Boroondara between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,708 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,307 local workers)
- Managers (+1,111 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-644 local workers)