City of Brimbank
About the area
LocationThe City of Brimbank is located in the western and north-western suburbs of Melbourne, between 11 and 23 kilometres west and north-west of the Melbourne CBD. The City of Brimbank is bounded by Hume City in the north, the City of Moreland, the City of Maribyrnong and the City of Moonee Valley in the east, Hobsons Bay City and the City of Wyndham in the south, and the City of Melton in the west. The City of Brimbank's boundaries are Thompsons Road, Column Gully, Jacksons Creek, the Maribyrnong River, Keilor Park Drive and Sharps Road in the north, the standard gauge railway, the Maribyrnong River, Duke Street, Stony Creek and the Melbourne-Bendigo railway line in the east, Geelong Road, Kororoit Creek and Boundary Road in the south, and Robinsons Road, Kororoit Creek, the western boundary of the suburbs of Kings Park, Delahey and Sydenham and the Melbourne-Bendigo railway in the west.
The City of Brimbank includes the suburbs of Albanvale, Albion, Ardeer, Brooklyn (part), Cairnlea, Calder Park, Deer Park, Delahey, Derrimut, Hillside (part), Kealba, Keilor (part), Keilor Downs, Keilor East (part), Keilor Lodge, Keilor North, Keilor Park, Kings Park, St Albans, Sunshine, Sunshine North, Sunshine West, Sydenham, Taylors Lakes and Tullamarine (part).
Land UseThe City of Brimbank is a growing residential area, with substantial industrial and commercial areas. The City encompasses a total land area of 123 square kilometres.
Name OriginThe City of Brimbank is named after Brimbank Park in Keilor, which opened in 1976. The park, which was formerly parkland, derived its name from the practice of the locals driving their stock 'around the brim of the bank' of the Maribyrnong River.
Indigenous MeaningThe original inhabitants of the City of Brimbank were the Wurundjeri Aboriginal people.
SettlementEuropean settlement dates from the 1830s when farmers moved into the Keilor Plains. Keilor began its existence in the late 1840s and was officially laid out in 1850. During the goldrush it grew substantially as a stopover point for travel to the goldfields. St Albans was first established as a township in 1887. The town was promoted as an attractive location for professionals who had easy access to central Melbourne with the newly constructed railway station. Development of St Albans slowed however with the depression of the late 1890s. Sunshine was also subdivided originally in the 1880s land boom, when the railway junction attracted industry and population. Development from the original settlements of Keilor, St Albans and Sunshine spread rapidly after the Second World War as significant numbers of overseas migrants settled in the area. Rapid growth took place during the 1970s and 1980s. The population continued to increase from the 1990s. Much of the growth during the 1990s was in Delahey, Sydenham and Taylors Lakes, with more recent growth mainly in Cairnlea, Deer Park and Derrimut.
Major FeaturesMajor features of the City of Brimbank include Victoria University (St Albans and Sunshine Campuses), Calder Park Motorsport Complex, Watergardens Town Centre, Sunshine Marketplace Shopping Centre, Sunshine Plaza Shopping Centre, Brimbank Shopping Centre, St Albans Town Centre, Sunshine Hospital, St Albans Leisure Centre, Sunshine Leisure Centre, Keilor Basketball Netball Stadium, Mt Derrimut Golf & Community Club, Keilor Public Golf Course, Organ Pipes National Park, Derrimut Grassland Nature Conservation Reserve, Mount Derrimut Nature Conservation Reserve, Green Gully Reserve, Keilor Park Recreation Reserve, Brimbank Park and Iramoo Wildflower Grassland Reserve.
TransportThe City of Brimbank is served by the Calder Freeway, the Western Ring Road, Ballarat Road and the Sydenham, Melbourne-Ballarat and Melbourne-Bendigo railway lines.