City of Brimbank
Employment by industry (FTE)
In the City of Brimbank, Manufacturing is the largest employer, generating 12,264 FTE jobs in 2018/19.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the City of Brimbank.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of City of Brimbank's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
NOTE: FTE employment is derived from Census data but has been corrected for the known undercount of employment in the Census. Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|City of Brimbank||2018/19||2013/14||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Greater Melbourne%||Number||%||Greater Melbourne%||2013/14 to 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||242||0.3||0.7||202||0.3||0.8||+41||23000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,198||1.6||1.3||939||1.5||1.3||+259||23300||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,672||3.6||5.0||2,482||3.9||5.1||+190||23700||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||10,484||14.0||6.2||8,382||13.1||6.0||+2,102||23800||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||655||0.9||2.5||487||0.8||2.6||+168||23900||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||647||0.9||4.6||535||0.8||5.0||+112||24000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||942||1.3||1.8||707||1.1||1.7||+236||24100||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,956||3.9||11.6||1,765||2.8||10.9||+1,191||24200||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,574||3.4||3.5||1,556||2.4||3.1||+1,019||24300||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,476||4.6||5.5||2,178||3.4||5.2||+1,298||24400||P|
|Education and Training||4,954||6.6||7.7||4,753||7.4||7.7||+202||24500||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||7,895||10.5||10.9||6,032||9.5||10.3||+1,863||24600||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||549||0.7||2.0||393||0.6||1.8||+156||24700||P|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) (opens a new window) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures.Learn more
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in City of Brimbank in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Manufacturing (12,264 full-time equivalent local workers or 16.4%)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (10,484 full-time equivalent local workers or 14.0%)
- Construction (10,409 full-time equivalent local workers or 13.9%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 33,157 people in total or 44.2% of local workers.
In comparison, Greater Melbourne employed 8.9% in Manufacturing; 6.2% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing; and 10.6% in Construction.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the City of Brimbank and Greater Melbourne were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (14.0% compared to 6.2%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Manufacturing (16.4% compared to 8.9%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.9% compared to 11.6%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Financial and Insurance Services (0.9% compared to 4.6%)
The number of local workers in the full-time equivalent work in the City of Brimbank increased by 11,167 between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in the City of Brimbank were for those employed in:
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+2,102 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,863 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Construction (+1,797 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Public Administration and Safety (+1,298 full-time equivalent local workers)