City of Brimbank
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (Construction) qualified in Architecture and Building in the City of Brimbank than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Brimbank's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Brimbank or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Brimbank, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Brimbank||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||29||0.5||0.5||31||0.5||0.4||-2||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||1,168||18.9||18.0||1,108||18.7||17.2||+60||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||1,583||25.6||33.0||1,283||21.6||29.9||+300||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||36||0.6||2.0||31||0.5||1.9||+5||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||388||6.3||6.3||268||4.5||5.1||+120||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||97||1.6||1.8||70||1.2||1.4||+27||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||71||1.1||1.4||94||1.6||1.4||-23||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||8||0.1||0.1||0||0.0||0.0||+8||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||180||2.9||2.7||355||6.0||3.7||-175||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Brimbank shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Construction) were qualified in were:
- Architecture and Building (1,583 people or 25.6%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (1,168 people or 18.9%)
- Management and Commerce (388 people or 6.3%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 3,139 people in total or 50.7% of the resident workers (Construction).
In comparison, Victoria employed 33.0% in Architecture and Building; 18.0% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 6.3% in Management and Commerce.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Construction) of the City of Brimbank and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) qualified in Architecture and Building (25.6% compared to 33.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (0.6% compared to 2.0%)
The number of resident workers (Construction) in the City of Brimbank increased by 262 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Construction) between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Brimbank were for those qualified in:
- Architecture and Building (+300 people)
- Management and Commerce (+120 people)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+60 people)