36.4% of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Brimbank work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.1% in Public Administration and Safety.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Brimbank's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Brimbank depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Brimbank - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||9,236||11.5||7.2||8,007||10.5||6.9||+1,229|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,827||11.0||9.0||7,421||9.7||8.3||+1,406|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,830||11.0||10.3||7,324||9.6||9.7||+1,506|
|35 hours - 39 hours||19,333||24.2||31.8||17,512||22.9||31.4||+1,821|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,853||7.3||8.9||6,225||8.1||9.4||-372|
|49 hours or more||7,224||9.0||7.0||7,888||10.3||7.1||-664|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Brimbank's resident workers in 2016 compared to Public Administration and Safety shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.4% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 31.4% and 67.9% respectively for Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Brimbank and the Public Administration and Safety workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked None (2.8% compared to 4.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.5% compared to 7.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (24.2% compared to 31.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked Not stated (3.1% compared to 0.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Brimbank increased by 290 people (0.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,821 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,506 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,406 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,229 persons)