Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Brimbank's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Brimbank depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Brimbank - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing%||Number||%||Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||9,236||11.5||13.2||8,007||10.5||10.5||+1,229|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,827||11.0||14.0||7,421||9.7||13.5||+1,406|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,830||11.0||10.7||7,324||9.6||15.6||+1,506|
|35 hours - 39 hours||19,333||24.2||22.9||17,512||22.9||13.5||+1,821|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,853||7.3||6.3||6,225||8.1||8.0||-372|
|49 hours or more||7,224||9.0||9.5||7,888||10.3||8.4||-664|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Brimbank's resident workers in 2016 compared to Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.4% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 39.3% and 59.1% respectively for Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Brimbank and the Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (2.8% compared to 1.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.5% compared to 13.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.0% compared to 14.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked Not stated (3.1% compared to 1.6%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Brimbank increased by 290 people (0.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,821 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,506 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,406 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,229 persons)