City of Brimbank
Resident workers - Hours worked
57.9% of the resident workers (Construction) in the City of Brimbank work 40 or more hours, compared to 29.7% in Education and Training.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Brimbank's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Brimbank depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Brimbank||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Education and Training%||Number||%||Education and Training%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||354||5.7||15.3||287||4.8||13.9||+67||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||408||6.6||13.3||372||6.3||12.1||+36||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||509||8.3||13.8||433||7.3||12.5||+76||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,093||17.7||23.5||946||16.0||23.1||+147||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||667||10.8||6.5||622||10.5||7.7||+45||22007|
|49 hours or more||991||16.1||9.5||958||16.2||9.4||+33||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Brimbank's resident workers (Construction) in 2016 compared to Education and Training shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 22.8% of the resident workers (Construction) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 75.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 45.7% and 53.2% respectively for Education and Training.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) of the City of Brimbank and Education and Training were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 40 hours (31.0% compared to 13.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 49 hours or more (16.1% compared to 9.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 1 hour - 15 hours (5.7% compared to 15.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 16 hours - 24 hours (6.6% compared to 13.3%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Construction) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Brimbank increased by 185 people (4.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+147 people)
- Not stated (-96 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+76 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+67 people)