City of Brimbank
Resident workers - Hours worked
44.6% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the City of Brimbank work 40 or more hours, compared to 53.8% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Brimbank's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Brimbank depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Brimbank||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||174||6.4||5.9||198||5.7||5.7||-24||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||197||7.3||6.6||243||7.0||6.4||-46||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||195||7.2||7.1||237||6.8||7.1||-42||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||853||31.4||23.4||978||28.2||20.8||-125||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||238||8.8||12.4||387||11.1||13.1||-149||22007|
|49 hours or more||265||9.8||16.1||397||11.4||18.1||-132||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Brimbank's resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 23.3% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 76.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 22.1% and 77.2% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of the City of Brimbank and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (31.4% compared to 23.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked 49 hours or more (9.8% compared to 16.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.8% compared to 12.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Brimbank decreased by 593 people (22.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-187 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-149 people)
- 49 hours or more (-132 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-125 people)