Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Brimbank's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Brimbank depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Brimbank - Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||318||8.4||8.4||295||8.0||8.2||+23|
|16 hours - 24 hours||295||7.8||7.9||248||6.7||7.8||+47|
|25 hours - 34 hours||312||8.2||8.9||277||7.5||8.6||+35|
|35 hours - 39 hours||908||23.9||17.0||838||22.6||15.5||+70|
|41 hours - 48 hours||331||8.7||10.8||366||9.9||12.3||-35|
|49 hours or more||407||10.7||17.5||432||11.7||19.5||-25|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Brimbank's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 26.9% of the resident workers in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 71.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 27.9% and 71.4% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Professional, Scientific and Technical Services) of the City of Brimbank and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (23.9% compared to 17.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (28.5% compared to 26.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.7% compared to 10.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (10.7% compared to 17.5%)
The number of the resident workers (Professional, Scientific and Technical Services) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Brimbank increased by 13 people (0.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Professional, Scientific and Technical Services) in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+70 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+47 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+35 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-35 persons)