City of Brimbank
Resident workers - Hours worked
35.2% of the resident workers (Other Services) in the City of Brimbank work 40 or more hours, compared to 40.7% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Brimbank's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Brimbank depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Brimbank||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||435||13.1||13.3||289||10.1||11.7||+146||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||437||13.1||10.6||282||9.9||9.6||+155||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||364||10.9||11.2||256||9.0||10.3||+108||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||788||23.7||20.4||668||23.4||19.5||+120||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||239||7.2||9.1||249||8.7||10.3||-10||22007|
|49 hours or more||298||9.0||12.8||326||11.4||14.6||-28||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Brimbank's resident workers (Other Services) in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.6% of the resident workers (Other Services) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 58.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.8% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Other Services) of the City of Brimbank and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Other Services) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (23.7% compared to 20.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Other Services) worked 16 hours - 24 hours (13.1% compared to 10.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Other Services) worked 49 hours or more (9.0% compared to 12.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Other Services) worked 41 hours - 48 hours (7.2% compared to 9.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Other Services) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Brimbank increased by 81 people (4.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Other Services) in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+155 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+146 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+120 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+108 people)