Manufacturing employs more of the City of Brimbank's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Brimbank residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Brimbank, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Brimbank are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Brimbank - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||509||0.6||2.2||221||0.3||2.1||+288|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||688||0.9||1.1||684||0.8||1.0||+4|
|Accommodation and Food Services||5,981||7.5||6.6||5,031||6.0||5.8||+950|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||7,635||9.5||4.8||7,005||8.4||4.4||+630|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,185||1.5||1.9||1,217||1.5||1.9||-32|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,900||3.6||3.9||3,250||3.9||3.9||-350|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,036||1.3||1.6||839||1.0||1.3||+197|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||3,779||4.7||7.9||3,712||4.5||7.3||+67|
|Administrative and Support Services||3,555||4.4||3.4||3,076||3.7||3.1||+479|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,515||4.4||5.3||3,436||4.1||5.0||+79|
|Education and Training||4,868||6.1||8.6||4,094||4.9||7.6||+774|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||7,930||9.9||12.5||6,937||8.3||10.9||+993|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,254||1.6||1.9||1,171||1.4||1.6||+83|
|Industry not classified||5,784||7.2||4.7||2,929||3.5||2.3||+2,855|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Brimbank in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Manufacturing (8,686 people or 10.9%)
- Retail Trade (8,419 people or 10.5%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (7,930 people or 9.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 25,035 people in total or 31.3% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, the Victoria workforce in the City of Brimbank employed 7.8% in Manufacturing; 10.2% in Retail Trade and 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Brimbank and the Victoria workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (9.5% compared to 4.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.7% compared to 7.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (10.9% compared to 7.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (9.9% compared to 12.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Brimbank were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-3,288 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+2,855 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+993 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+950 resident workforce)