There are more resident workers (All industries) Labourers in the City of Brimbank than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Brimbank's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Brimbank||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||11,083||13.9||4.6||11,305||14.8||5.2||-222|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||8,471||10.6||32.1||7,121||9.3||30.3||+1,350|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||10,989||13.7||28.4||11,573||15.2||29.5||-584|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||9,411||11.8||1.7||9,128||12.0||1.6||+283|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,973||2.5||1.8||2,492||3.3||4.4||-519|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Brimbank in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (11,825 people or 14.8%)
- Professionals (11,587 people or 14.5%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (11,083 people or 13.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 34,495 people in total or 43.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, the Public Administration and Safety workforce in the City of Brimbank employed 5.7% in Labourers; 18.2% in Professionals and 4.6% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Brimbank and Public Administration and Safety were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (10.6% compared to 32.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (13.7% compared to 28.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (11.8% compared to 1.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Sales Workers (10.0% compared to 0.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Brimbank increased by 3,649 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Brimbank were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,350 persons)
- Labourers (+1,112 persons)
- Professionals (+1,110 persons)
- Managers (+708 persons)