55.6% of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Brimbank have qualifications, compared to 68.1% for Public Administration and Safety.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for the City of Brimbank's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income , Occupations and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of the City of Brimbank's local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|City of Brimbank - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||19,641||24.5||34.1||15,604||20.4||30.6||+4,037|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||9,188||11.5||15.2||7,637||10.0||12.6||+1,551|
|Certificate I and II Level||814||1.0||1.4||886||1.2||1.5||-72|
|Certificate III & IV Level||13,313||16.6||14.9||12,456||16.3||14.4||+857|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,544||1.9||2.5||1,233||1.6||2.7||+311|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,690||3.4||2.8||4,144||5.4||3.8||-1,454|
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Brimbank in 2016 compared to Public Administration and Safety shows that there was a higher proportion of resident holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of males with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 55.6% of the resident workers (All industries) held educational qualifications, and 41.0% had no qualifications, compared with 68.1% and 29.1% respectively for Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Brimbank and (Public Administration and Safety) were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) with No qualification (41.0% compared to 29.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) with Bachelor or Higher degree (24.5% compared to 34.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.5% compared to 15.2%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+4,037 persons)
- No qualification (-1,563 persons)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,551 persons)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+857 persons)