City of Brimbank
Local workers - Hours worked - Professional, Scientific and Technical Services
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the City of Brimbank across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|City of Brimbank - Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||195||10.4||8.4||160||11.7||8.2||+35|
|16 hours - 24 hours||183||9.8||8.0||131||9.6||7.8||+52|
|25 hours - 34 hours||171||9.1||9.0||121||8.9||8.6||+50|
|35 hours - 39 hours||346||18.5||17.0||233||17.1||15.5||+113|
|41 hours - 48 hours||161||8.6||10.8||113||8.3||12.4||+48|
|49 hours or more||275||14.7||17.4||225||16.5||19.5||+50|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce in the City of Brimbank in 2016 compared to Victoria within the City of Brimbank shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 31.6% of the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 67.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 28.0% and 71.3% respectively for Victoria within the City of Brimbank.
The major differences between the hours worked by the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce in the City of Brimbank and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.4% compared to 8.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.8% compared to 8.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.6% compared to 10.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (14.7% compared to 17.4%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+161 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+113 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+52 local workers)
- 49 hours or more (+50 local workers)