City of Brimbank
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In the City of Brimbank, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Greater Melbourne.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Brimbank - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Greater Melbourne||Number||%||Greater Melbourne||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||16,735||25.2||37.8||12,045||20.7||32.7||+4,690|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||7,199||10.8||11.8||5,244||9.0||10.9||+1,955|
|Certificate I and II Level||673||1.0||0.9||671||1.2||1.0||+2|
|Certificate III & IV Level||12,915||19.4||15.2||11,008||18.9||15.2||+1,907|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,253||1.9||1.7||899||1.5||1.5||+354|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,020||3.0||2.6||2,812||4.8||4.0||-792|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Brimbank in 2016 compared to Greater Melbourne shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 58.3% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 38.6% had no qualifications, compared with 67.3% and 30.1% respectively for Greater Melbourne.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Brimbank and Greater Melbourne were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (25.2% compared to 37.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (38.6% compared to 30.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (19.4% compared to 15.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (10.8% compared to 11.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+4,690 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,955 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,907 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+354 local workers)