In the City of Brimbank, the Mining workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to Victoria.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Brimbank - Mining||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||8||8.5||30.8||9||13.0||29.7||-1|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||12||12.8||7.6||3||4.3||6.7||+9|
|Certificate I and II Level||--||0||0.7||0||0||0.9||--|
|Certificate III & IV Level||40||42.6||30.2||24||34.8||28.0||+16|
|Certificate Level, nfd||3||3.2||1.6||0||0||1.2||+3|
|Inadequately described or not stated||--||0||2.2||0||0||3.3||--|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Brimbank in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 67.0% of the workers (Mining) who held educational qualifications, and 33.0% had no qualifications, compared with 70.9% and 26.8% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce (Mining) of the City of Brimbank and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Mining) with Bachelor or Higher degree (8.5% compared to 30.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Mining) with Certificate III & IV Level (42.6% compared to 30.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Mining) with No qualification (33.0% compared to 26.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Mining) with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.8% compared to 7.6%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the Mining workforce in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Certificate III & IV Level (+16 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+9 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+3 local workers)
- No qualification (-2 local workers)