City of Brimbank
Local workers - Qualifications - Professional, Scientific and Technical Services
In the City of Brimbank, the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce has a lower proportion with tertiary qualifications compared to Victoria.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, City of Brimbank in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Brimbank - Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria %||Number||%||Victoria %||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||807||43.1||62.9||552||40.5||58.5||+255||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||288||15.4||11.3||204||15.0||11.8||+84||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||9||0.5||0.6||11||0.8||0.7||-2||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||233||12.5||6.4||143||10.5||6.2||+90||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||28||1.5||1.3||32||2.3||1.4||-4||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||52||2.8||2.0||40||2.9||2.5||+12||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services in the City of Brimbank in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 60.5% of the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services held educational qualifications, and 24.3% had no qualifications, compared with 76.0% and 15.6% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce in the City of Brimbank and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualifications (24.3% compared to 15.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Levels (12.5% compared to 6.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (15.4% compared to 11.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (43.1% compared to 62.9%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+255 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Levels (+90 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+84 local workers)
- No qualifications (+74 local workers)