In the City of Brimbank, 16.6% of workers were Professionals, compared to 36.9% in Administrative and Support Services.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Brimbank will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Brimbank;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Brimbank - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||9,043||13.6||8.9||8,501||14.6||8.3||+542|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,068||9.1||7.3||4,896||8.4||6.7||+1,172|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||8,992||13.5||12.8||8,336||14.3||15.1||+656|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||8,623||13.0||10.2||7,317||12.6||9.1||+1,306|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,353||2.0||1.7||1,479||2.5||2.1||-126|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Brimbank in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (11,038 local workers or 16.6%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (9,043 local workers or 13.6%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (8,992 local workers or 13.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 29,073 people in total or 43.7% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, the Administrative and Support Services workforce in the City of Brimbank employed 11.9% as Professionals; 8.9% as Technicians and Trades Workers and 12.8% as Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Brimbank and Administrative and Support Services were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (10.7% compared to 36.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (10.2% compared to 1.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (16.6% compared to 11.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (13.6% compared to 8.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,010 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+1,306 local workers)
- Labourers (+1,185 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,172 local workers)