There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in Broken Hill City than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Broken Hill City's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Broken Hill City or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Broken Hill City, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Broken Hill City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Mining||Number||%||Mining||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||43||0.6||2.6||53||0.8||2.5||-10|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||910||13.2||38.4||892||12.7||36.3||+18|
|Architecture and Building||221||3.2||3.8||234||3.3||2.1||-13|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||75||1.1||1.3||66||0.9||1.0||+9|
|Management and Commerce||668||9.7||5.6||595||8.5||6.7||+73|
|Society and Culture||521||7.5||1.7||383||5.5||1.2||+138|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||255||3.7||1.2||256||3.6||1.1||-1|
|Mixed Field Programmes||5||0.1||0||3||0.0||0||+2|
|Not stated or inadequately described||243||3.5||4.6||253||3.6||3.2||-10|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Broken Hill City shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (910 people or 13.2%)
- Management and Commerce (668 people or 9.7%)
- Health (643 people or 9.3%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 2,221 people in total or 32.2% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, the Mining workforce in Broken Hill City employed 38.4% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 5.6% in Management and Commerce and 1.3% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Broken Hill City and the Mining workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (13.2% compared to 38.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (9.3% compared to 1.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (7.5% compared to 1.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (6.2% compared to 0.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Broken Hill City decreased by 113 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Broken Hill City was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+138 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+73 resident workers)
- Education (+62 resident workers)
- Health (+52 resident workers)