40.6% of the resident workers (All industries) in Broken Hill City work 40 or more hours, compared to 81.3% in Mining.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Broken Hill City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Broken Hill City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Broken Hill City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Mining%||Number||%||Mining%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||770||11.2||1.2||736||10.5||0.7||+34|
|16 hours - 24 hours||588||8.5||2.1||568||8.1||3.1||+20|
|25 hours - 34 hours||815||11.8||2.4||772||11.0||1.3||+43|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,432||20.8||6.7||1,300||18.5||4.5||+132|
|41 hours - 48 hours||564||8.2||20.1||613||8.7||17.5||-49|
|49 hours or more||1,148||16.6||53.7||1,293||18.4||57.3||-145|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Broken Hill City's resident workers in 2016 compared to Mining shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.3% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 9.5% and 88.1% respectively for Mining.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Broken Hill City and the Mining workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.2% compared to 1.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.8% compared to 6.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.2% compared to 20.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (16.6% compared to 53.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Broken Hill City decreased by 145 people (-3.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Broken Hill City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-145 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+132 persons)
- 40 hours (-83 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-49 persons)