Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Broken Hill City's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Broken Hill City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Broken Hill City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Broken Hill City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Broken Hill City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||118||1.7||2.1||74||1.0||2.1||+44|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||147||2.1||0.9||192||2.5||1.0||-45|
|Accommodation and Food Services||662||9.6||7.1||678||8.9||6.3||-16|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||265||3.8||4.7||270||3.5||4.6||-5|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||70||1.0||2.2||67||0.9||2.2||+3|
|Financial and Insurance Services||90||1.3||4.9||101||1.3||4.8||-11|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||60||0.9||1.8||58||0.8||1.5||+2|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||135||2.0||8.1||159||2.1||7.4||-24|
|Administrative and Support Services||211||3.1||3.5||217||2.8||3.1||-6|
|Public Administration and Safety||492||7.1||6.0||536||7.0||5.8||-44|
|Education and Training||581||8.4||8.4||577||7.6||7.5||+4|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,260||18.3||12.5||1,133||14.8||10.9||+127|
|Arts and Recreation Services||65||0.9||1.5||64||0.8||1.4||+1|
|Industry not classified||247||3.6||4.7||194||2.5||2.3||+53|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Broken Hill City in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (1,260 people or 18.3%)
- Retail Trade (829 people or 12.0%)
- Mining (746 people or 10.8%)
In combination these three industries employed 2,835 people in total or 41.1% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, the New South Wales workforce in Broken Hill City employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.7% in Retail Trade and 0.9% in Mining.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Broken Hill City and the New South Wales workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (10.8% compared to 0.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (2.0% compared to 8.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (18.3% compared to 12.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (2.1% compared to 5.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Broken Hill City were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+127 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-110 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-57 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+53 resident workforce)