There are more resident workers (All industries) Professionals in Broken Hill City than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Broken Hill City's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Broken Hill City||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Mining||Number||%||Mining||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,022||14.8||27.6||1,104||15.8||26.9||-82|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,045||15.1||1.1||989||14.1||1.1||+56|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||752||10.9||5.1||825||11.8||4.5||-73|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||724||10.5||46.9||770||11.0||50.1||-46|
|Inadequately described or not stated||138||2.0||0.7||133||1.9||0.8||+5|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Broken Hill City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (1,116 people or 16.2%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (1,045 people or 15.1%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,022 people or 14.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 3,183 people in total or 46.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, the Mining workforce in Broken Hill City employed 8.1% in Professionals; 1.1% in Community and Personal Service Workers and 27.6% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Broken Hill City and Mining were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (10.5% compared to 46.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (15.1% compared to 1.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (14.8% compared to 27.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (16.2% compared to 8.1%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Broken Hill City decreased by 103 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Broken Hill City were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-82 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-73 persons)
- Professionals (+68 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+56 persons)