Broken Hill City
Local workers - Hours worked - All industries
47.8% of female local workers in Broken Hill City are employed part-time and 50.2% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Broken Hill City across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Broken Hill City in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers hours worked|
|Broken Hill City - All industries- Females||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales %||Number||%||New South Wales %||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||496||14.6||14.7||470||14.0||14.9||+26||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||400||11.7||14.8||420||12.5||14.5||-20||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||556||16.3||14.6||568||16.9||14.1||-12||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||744||21.9||19.2||643||19.1||18.6||+101||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||177||5.2||6.5||200||6.0||7.2||-23||22007|
|49 hours or more||285||8.4||8.4||294||8.8||8.9||-9||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the female workforce in Broken Hill City in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a similar proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) as well as a similar proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 47.8% of the female workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 50.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 48.0% and 50.2% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the female workforce in Broken Hill City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of female local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (21.9% compared to 19.2%)
- A larger percentage of female local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (16.3% compared to 14.6%)
- A smaller percentage of female local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.7% compared to 14.8%)
- A smaller percentage of female local workers who worked 41 hours - 48 hours (5.2% compared to 6.5%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the female workforce in Broken Hill City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+101 female local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+26 female local workers)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-23 female local workers)
- Not stated (-22 female local workers)