In Broken Hill City, 17.1% of workers were Professionals, compared to 46.8% in Mining.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Broken Hill City will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Broken Hill City;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Broken Hill City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Mining||Number||%||Mining||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||984||14.4||27.1||1,043||15.2||27.0||-59|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,026||15.0||1.1||969||14.1||1.2||+57|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||744||10.9||4.2||821||12.0||4.9||-77|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||698||10.2||46.8||701||10.2||49.4||-3|
|Inadequately described or not stated||133||1.9||0.9||128||1.9||0||+5|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Broken Hill City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (1,173 local workers or 17.1%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (1,026 local workers or 15.0%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (984 local workers or 14.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 3,183 people in total or 46.5% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, the Mining workforce in Broken Hill City employed 8.6% as Professionals; 1.1% as Community and Personal Service Workers and 27.1% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Broken Hill City and Mining were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (10.2% compared to 46.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (15.0% compared to 1.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (14.4% compared to 27.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (17.1% compared to 8.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Broken Hill City between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-77 local workers)
- Professionals (+64 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-59 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+57 local workers)