Burwood Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
40.1% of the resident workers in Burwood Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Burwood Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Burwood Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Burwood Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,833||10.7||10.8||1,594||10.6||10.4||+239||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,466||14.4||10.4||2,025||13.4||9.7||+441||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,713||10.0||10.5||1,370||9.1||9.8||+343||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||3,412||19.9||19.1||2,812||18.6||18.2||+600||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,301||7.6||9.1||1,318||8.7||10.0||-17||22007|
|49 hours or more||1,875||10.9||14.9||1,922||12.7||16.4||-47||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Burwood Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.4% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Burwood Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (14.4% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (21.6% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (10.9% compared to 14.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (7.6% compared to 9.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Burwood Council area increased by 1,037 people (11.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Burwood Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+600 people)
- 40 hours (+501 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+441 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+343 people)