31.7% of the resident workers (All industries) in Byron Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Byron Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Byron Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Byron Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,270||16.7||10.8||2,212||17.5||10.4||+58|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,997||14.7||10.4||1,699||13.5||9.7||+298|
|25 hours - 34 hours||2,333||17.2||10.5||1,991||15.8||9.8||+342|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,824||13.5||19.1||1,667||13.2||18.2||+157|
|41 hours - 48 hours||779||5.7||9.1||820||6.5||10.0||-41|
|49 hours or more||1,611||11.9||14.9||1,641||13.0||16.4||-30|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Byron Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 52.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 45.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Byron Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (16.7% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (17.2% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (13.5% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.1% compared to 20.0%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Byron Shire increased by 292 people (5.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Byron Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+342 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+298 persons)
- 40 hours (+206 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+157 persons)