Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Byron Shire’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Byron Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Byron Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Byron Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||513||3.8||2.1||452||3.6||2.2||+61||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||71||0.5||0.9||64||0.5||1.1||+7||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,618||11.9||7.1||1,587||12.6||6.7||+31||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||365||2.7||4.7||340||2.7||4.9||+25||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||205||1.5||2.2||242||1.9||2.3||-37||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||189||1.4||4.9||191||1.5||5.0||-2||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||278||2.0||1.8||291||2.3||1.6||-13||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||962||7.1||8.1||809||6.4||7.9||+153||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||633||4.7||3.5||492||3.9||3.3||+141||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||433||3.2||6.0||417||3.3||6.1||+16||39000||P|
|Education and Training||1,319||9.7||8.4||1,248||9.9||7.9||+71||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,916||14.1||12.5||1,621||12.8||11.6||+295||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||344||2.5||1.5||293||2.3||1.5||+51||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||834||6.1||4.7||376||3.0||2.5||+458||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Byron Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (1,916 people or 14.1%)
- Accommodation and Food Services (1,618 people or 11.9%)
- Retail Trade (1,381 people or 10.2%)
In combination these three industries employed 4,915 people in total or 36.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 7.1% in Accommodation and Food Services; and 9.7% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Byron Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (11.9% compared to 7.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.4% compared to 4.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (3.2% compared to 6.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (2.7% compared to 4.7%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Byron Shire were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+458 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+295 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-171 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+153 resident workforce)