There are more resident workers (All industries) Professionals in Byron Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Byron Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,925||14.2||12.7||1,773||14.0||13.2||+152|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,663||12.3||10.4||1,444||11.4||9.5||+219|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,286||9.5||13.8||1,274||10.1||15.1||+12|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||475||3.5||6.1||472||3.7||6.4||+3|
|Inadequately described or not stated||228||1.7||1.8||246||1.9||1.8||-18|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Byron Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (3,314 people or 24.5%)
- Managers (2,033 people or 15.0%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,925 people or 14.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 7,272 people in total or 53.7% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 13.5% in Managers and 12.7% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Byron Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (9.5% compared to 13.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (3.5% compared to 6.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (12.3% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (15.0% compared to 13.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Byron Shire increased by 921 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Byron Shire were those employed as:
- Professionals (+353 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+219 persons)
- Managers (+168 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+152 persons)