In Byron Shire, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Byron Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||3,597||27.8||32.6||2,723||23.2||27.9||+874|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||1,618||12.5||11.1||1,323||11.3||10.5||+295|
|Certificate I and II Level||179||1.4||1.2||163||1.4||1.4||+16|
|Certificate III & IV Level||2,757||21.3||18.7||2,454||20.9||18.8||+303|
|Certificate Level, nfd||357||2.8||2.3||234||2.0||1.9||+123|
|Inadequately described or not stated||455||3.5||2.9||555||4.7||4.5||-100|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Byron Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 65.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 30.9% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Byron Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (27.8% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (21.3% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.5% compared to 11.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (3.5% compared to 2.9%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Byron Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+874 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+303 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+295 local workers)
- No qualification (-282 local workers)