Resident workers - Field of qualification
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Cairns's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Cairns or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Cairns, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Cairns - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||20||1.2||1.4||26||1.2||1.2||-6|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||284||16.6||16.3||342||15.4||14.3||-58|
|Architecture and Building||49||2.9||2.3||62||2.8||2.1||-13|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||31||1.8||1.9||41||1.9||1.8||-10|
|Management and Commerce||233||13.7||17.2||210||9.5||13.2||+23|
|Society and Culture||49||2.9||3.0||47||2.1||2.3||+2|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||94||5.5||3.2||138||6.2||3.6||-44|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0||0.1||0||0||0.1||--|
|Not stated or inadequately described||36||2.1||2.1||73||3.3||2.9||-37|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Cairns shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (284 people or 16.6%)
- Management and Commerce (233 people or 13.7%)
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (94 people or 5.5%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 611 people in total or 35.8% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade).
In comparison, Queensland employed 16.3% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 17.2% in Management and Commerce and 3.2% in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Management and Commerce (13.7% compared to 17.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (5.5% compared to 3.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Creative Arts (0.8% compared to 1.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Health (1.3% compared to 2.4%)
The number of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Cairns decreased by 509 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) between 2011 and 2016 in Cairns was for those qualified in:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (-58 resident workers)
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (-44 resident workers)
- Not stated or inadequately described (-37 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+23 resident workers)