Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services in Cairns than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Cairns's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Cairns or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Cairns, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||84||1.2||0.8||53||0.8||0.7||+31||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||263||3.6||3.0||223||3.3||2.7||+40||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||97||1.3||1.1||89||1.3||1.0||+8||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||46||0.6||0.7||57||0.9||0.7||-11||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||925||12.7||12.6||725||10.9||10.4||+200||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||363||5.0||4.6||230||3.5||3.3||+133||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,169||16.1||13.4||999||15.0||12.3||+170||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||14||0.2||0.2||10||0.2||0.1||+4||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||192||2.6||2.1||275||4.1||3.3||-83||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Cairns shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) were qualified in were:
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (1,169 people or 16.1%)
- Management and Commerce (925 people or 12.7%)
- Society and Culture (363 people or 5.0%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 2,457 people in total or 33.8% of the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services).
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.4% in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services; 12.6% in Management and Commerce; and 4.6% in Society and Culture.
The major difference between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) of Cairns and Queensland was:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (16.1% compared to 13.4%)
The number of resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) in Cairns increased by 600 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) between 2011 and 2016 in Cairns were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+200 people)
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (+170 people)
- Society and Culture (+133 people)