Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (Construction) qualified in Architecture and Building in Cairns than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Cairns's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Cairns or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Cairns, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||28||0.5||0.4||27||0.4||0.3||+1||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||1,244||21.1||19.7||1,199||19.6||18.5||+45||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||2,023||34.3||31.6||1,977||32.3||29.5||+46||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||98||1.7||1.7||70||1.1||1.5||+28||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||342||5.8||6.7||279||4.6||5.4||+63||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||88||1.5||1.8||66||1.1||1.4||+22||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||91||1.5||1.6||100||1.6||1.6||-9||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||3||0.1||0.1||0||0.0||0.0||+3||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||155||2.6||2.5||240||3.9||3.3||-85||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Cairns shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Construction) were qualified in were:
- Architecture and Building (2,023 people or 34.3%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (1,244 people or 21.1%)
- Management and Commerce (342 people or 5.8%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 3,609 people in total or 61.2% of the resident workers (Construction).
In comparison, Queensland employed 31.6% in Architecture and Building; 19.7% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 6.7% in Management and Commerce.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Construction) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) qualified in Architecture and Building (34.3% compared to 31.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (21.1% compared to 19.7%)
The number of resident workers (Construction) in Cairns decreased by 215 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Construction) between 2011 and 2016 in Cairns was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+63 people)