Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) qualified in Management and Commerce in Cairns than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Cairns's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Cairns or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Cairns, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||199||3.4||1.2||175||3.0||1.2||+24||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||811||14.0||16.6||824||14.3||15.4||-13||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||198||3.4||2.9||172||3.0||2.8||+26||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||193||3.3||1.8||203||3.5||1.9||-10||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||1,039||18.0||13.7||921||16.0||9.5||+118||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||962||16.6||2.9||926||16.1||2.1||+36||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||157||2.7||5.5||152||2.6||6.2||+5||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0.0||0.0||3||0.1||0.0||-3||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||180||3.1||2.1||203||3.5||3.3||-23||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Cairns shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (1,039 people or 18.0%)
- Society and Culture (962 people or 16.6%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (811 people or 14.0%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 2,812 people in total or 48.6% of the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety).
In comparison, Wholesale Trade employed 13.7% in Management and Commerce; 2.9% in Society and Culture; and 16.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) of Cairns and Wholesale Trade were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) qualified in Society and Culture (16.6% compared to 2.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) qualified in Management and Commerce (18.0% compared to 13.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) qualified in Health (4.9% compared to 1.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (2.7% compared to 5.5%)
The number of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) in Cairns increased by 42 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) between 2011 and 2016 in Cairns were for those qualified in:
- Health (+139 people)
- Management and Commerce (+118 people)