Resident workers - Hours worked
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cairns Regional Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,071||9.8||11.0||7,007||9.4||10.4||+64|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,412||8.9||9.4||6,255||8.4||8.8||+157|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,794||13.5||12.0||8,752||11.7||10.8||+1,042|
|35 hours - 39 hours||15,141||20.9||19.2||14,326||19.2||18.1||+815|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,822||9.4||9.4||7,486||10.0||10.5||-664|
|49 hours or more||11,044||15.3||16.6||13,362||17.9||18.4||-2,318|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.7% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (9.8% compared to 11.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.5% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.9% compared to 19.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (15.3% compared to 16.6%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns decreased by 2407 people (-5.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-2,318 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,042 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+815 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-664 persons)