53.7% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Cairns work 40 or more hours, compared to 55.9% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cairns Regional Council - Wholesale Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||78||4.6||5.2||104||4.7||5.2||-26|
|16 hours - 24 hours||77||4.5||5.2||107||4.9||5.4||-30|
|25 hours - 34 hours||152||8.9||7.1||163||7.4||7.1||-11|
|35 hours - 39 hours||435||25.5||23.7||519||23.5||20.4||-84|
|41 hours - 48 hours||237||13.9||13.7||312||14.2||14.2||-75|
|49 hours or more||302||17.7||18.9||468||21.2||21.5||-166|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 20.2% of the resident workers in Wholesale Trade worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 79.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 19.7% and 79.6% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (8.9% compared to 7.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (25.5% compared to 23.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (22.1% compared to 23.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (17.7% compared to 18.9%)
The number of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns decreased by 406 people (-23.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-166 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-84 persons)
- 40 hours (-81 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-75 persons)