Resident workers - Hours worked
41.5% of the resident workers in Cairns work 40 or more hours, compared to 61.2% in Construction.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Construction%||Number||%||Construction%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,071||9.8||5.3||6,502||9.4||5.2||+569||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,412||8.9||5.1||5,792||8.4||5.5||+620||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,794||13.5||8.9||8,059||11.6||7.3||+1,735||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||15,141||20.9||15.5||13,527||19.5||11.8||+1,614||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,822||9.4||13.8||6,998||10.1||13.2||-176||22007|
|49 hours or more||11,044||15.3||23.8||12,192||17.6||28.0||-1,148||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers in 2016 compared to Construction shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.7% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 22.2% and 76.7% respectively for Construction.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Cairns and Construction were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.9% compared to 15.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.5% compared to 8.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (15.3% compared to 23.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (16.8% compared to 23.6%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns increased by 871 people (2.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,735 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,614 people)
- 49 hours or more (-1,148 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+620 people)