41.5% of the resident workers (All industries) in Cairns work 40 or more hours, compared to 41.8% in Far North Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cairns Regional Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Far North Queensland%||Number||%||Far North Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,071||9.8||10.1||6,502||9.4||9.7||+569|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,412||8.9||8.9||5,792||8.4||8.5||+620|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,794||13.5||13.4||8,059||11.6||11.8||+1,735|
|35 hours - 39 hours||15,141||20.9||19.8||13,527||19.5||18.3||+1,614|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,822||9.4||8.9||6,998||10.1||9.8||-176|
|49 hours or more||11,044||15.3||16.8||12,192||17.6||19.1||-1,148|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers in 2016 compared to Far North Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.7% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.1% and 61.6% respectively for Far North Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Cairns and Far North Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.9% compared to 19.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (16.8% compared to 16.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.4% compared to 8.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (15.3% compared to 16.8%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns increased by 871 people (2.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,735 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,614 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-1,148 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+620 persons)