52.7% of the resident workers (Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing) in Cairns work 40 or more hours, compared to 61.5% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cairns Regional Council - Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||114||9.6||7.9||80||8.9||7.3||+34|
|16 hours - 24 hours||95||8.0||6.9||65||7.3||6.2||+30|
|25 hours - 34 hours||117||9.9||9.4||90||10.1||8.5||+27|
|35 hours - 39 hours||165||14.0||9.9||69||7.7||7.6||+96|
|41 hours - 48 hours||64||5.4||7.5||51||5.7||7.0||+13|
|49 hours or more||345||29.2||38.8||350||39.1||43.4||-5|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 31.5% of the resident workers in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 66.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 26.8% and 71.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (14.0% compared to 9.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (18.1% compared to 15.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (5.4% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (29.2% compared to 38.8%)
The number of the resident workers (Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns increased by 184 people (30.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+96 persons)
- 40 hours (+80 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+34 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+30 persons)