Resident workers - Hours worked
57.6% of the resident workers (Manufacturing) in Cairns work 40 or more hours, compared to 54.3% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||150||5.6||5.0||191||5.4||4.4||-41||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||118||4.4||4.6||151||4.3||4.3||-33||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||190||7.1||6.8||221||6.3||6.1||-31||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||610||22.6||26.0||706||20.1||24.0||-96||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||364||13.5||14.8||491||14.0||15.7||-127||22007|
|49 hours or more||511||19.0||17.5||783||22.3||19.6||-272||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers (Manufacturing) in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a similar proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) as well as a similar proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 18.9% of the resident workers (Manufacturing) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 80.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 18.7% and 80.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Manufacturing) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) worked 40 hours (25.1% compared to 22.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) worked 49 hours or more (19.0% compared to 17.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (22.6% compared to 26.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) worked 41 hours - 48 hours (13.5% compared to 14.8%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Manufacturing) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns decreased by 612 people (22.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Manufacturing) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-272 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-127 people)
- 40 hours (-117 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-96 people)