Resident workers - Hours worked
61.2% of the resident workers (Construction) in Cairns work 40 or more hours, compared to 64.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||314||5.3||5.1||319||5.2||5.2||-5||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||304||5.1||5.1||337||5.5||5.3||-33||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||525||8.9||7.8||447||7.3||7.3||+78||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||914||15.5||14.0||723||11.8||11.5||+191||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||814||13.8||13.0||805||13.2||13.1||+9||22007|
|49 hours or more||1,410||23.8||26.8||1,714||28.0||30.0||-304||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers (Construction) in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 22.2% of the resident workers (Construction) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 76.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 20.6% and 78.2% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.5% compared to 14.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 25 hours - 34 hours (8.9% compared to 7.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 41 hours - 48 hours (13.8% compared to 13.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 49 hours or more (23.8% compared to 26.8%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Construction) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns decreased by 80 people (1.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-304 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+191 people)
- Not stated (-84 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+78 people)