Resident workers - Hours worked
28.0% of the resident workers (Retail Trade) in Cairns work 40 or more hours, compared to 28.0% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,427||18.6||20.8||1,544||18.8||20.8||-117||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||927||12.1||13.5||908||11.1||12.6||+19||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,278||16.6||15.0||1,204||14.7||13.6||+74||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,632||21.2||18.7||1,514||18.5||17.2||+118||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||591||7.7||7.1||712||8.7||8.0||-121||22007|
|49 hours or more||739||9.6||10.5||989||12.1||12.0||-250||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers (Retail Trade) in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 50.0% of the resident workers (Retail Trade) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 49.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 52.3% and 46.7% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Retail Trade) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (21.2% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 25 hours - 34 hours (16.6% compared to 15.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 1 hour - 15 hours (18.6% compared to 20.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 16 hours - 24 hours (12.1% compared to 13.5%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Retail Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns decreased by 322 people (7.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Retail Trade) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-250 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-121 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+118 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (-117 people)