30.0% of the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) in Cairns work 40 or more hours, compared to 25.7% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cairns Regional Council - Accommodation and Food Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,356||18.6||28.1||1,142||17.1||25.9||+214|
|16 hours - 24 hours||959||13.2||15.4||748||11.2||14.2||+211|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,338||18.4||14.8||1,033||15.5||14.3||+305|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,177||16.2||12.0||1,112||16.7||11.9||+65|
|41 hours - 48 hours||536||7.4||5.8||586||8.8||6.4||-50|
|49 hours or more||914||12.6||11.4||989||14.9||13.3||-75|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 52.5% of the resident workers in Accommodation and Food Services worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 46.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 60.9% and 37.7% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (18.6% compared to 28.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (13.2% compared to 15.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (18.4% compared to 14.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.2% compared to 12.0%)
The number of the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns decreased by 41 people (-1.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Accommodation and Food Services) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+305 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+214 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+211 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-75 persons)