47.9% of the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) in Cairns work 40 or more hours, compared to 46.4% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cairns Regional Council - Public Administration and Safety||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||184||3.2||3.8||183||3.2||3.9||+1|
|16 hours - 24 hours||238||4.1||5.3||257||4.5||5.2||-19|
|25 hours - 34 hours||373||6.4||7.0||356||6.2||6.5||+17|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,819||31.4||31.3||1,794||31.1||31.3||+25|
|41 hours - 48 hours||707||12.2||12.5||690||12.0||12.8||+17|
|49 hours or more||786||13.6||11.5||791||13.7||12.0||-5|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 19.6% of the resident workers in Public Administration and Safety worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 79.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 21.3% and 77.7% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (5.9% compared to 5.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (3.2% compared to 3.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (4.1% compared to 5.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (13.6% compared to 11.5%)
The number of the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns increased by 26 people (0.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+25 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (-19 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (+17 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+17 persons)