Resident workers - Hours worked
43.3% of the resident workers (Other Services) in Cairns work 40 or more hours, compared to 42.0% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||314||10.3||12.7||228||8.0||11.3||+86||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||294||9.7||9.8||259||9.1||9.2||+35||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||350||11.5||12.1||289||10.1||10.8||+61||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||668||21.9||19.9||590||20.6||18.5||+78||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||299||9.8||9.6||322||11.3||10.7||-23||22007|
|49 hours or more||460||15.1||14.7||505||17.7||17.5||-45||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers (Other Services) in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.8% of the resident workers (Other Services) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.9% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Other Services) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Other Services) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (21.9% compared to 19.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Other Services) worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.3% compared to 12.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Other Services) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns increased by 36 people (1.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Other Services) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+86 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+78 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+61 people)
- 49 hours or more (-45 people)