Resident workers - Hours worked
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cairns's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cairns depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cairns Regional Council - Other Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||314||10.3||12.7||247||8.2||11.3||+67|
|16 hours - 24 hours||294||9.7||9.8||265||8.8||9.2||+29|
|25 hours - 34 hours||350||11.5||12.1||307||10.2||10.8||+43|
|35 hours - 39 hours||668||21.9||19.9||612||20.3||18.5||+56|
|41 hours - 48 hours||299||9.8||9.6||337||11.2||10.7||-38|
|49 hours or more||460||15.1||14.7||546||18.1||17.5||-86|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Cairns's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.8% of the resident workers in Other Services worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.9% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Other Services) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.3% compared to 12.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (11.5% compared to 12.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (21.9% compared to 19.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (18.4% compared to 17.7%)
The number of the resident workers (Other Services) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cairns decreased by 73 people (-3.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Other Services) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-86 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+67 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+56 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+43 persons)